24 May 2009

Freedom Under Fire

Where do I begin? I suppose the logical place to start is with an explanation of why I felt compelled to start this blog. That could be a rather lengthy story, however, so I will do my best to condense it down to my core reasoning.

Let me begin by saying that I am NOT a Republican nor am I a Democrat. I am a Classical Liberal; however, I want to clarify that term since the meaning of Liberal today is VERY different than what it used to mean. A Classical Liberal was one who believed in individual liberty (liberal and liberty share the same Latin root); this is in stark contrast to the view that most "Liberals" take today, which is one of individual liberties being subservient to the dictates of a large federal government.

I believe that our individual liberties are being taken away from us one by one. As a nation, we have grown so complacent that we hardly notice as the federal government begins to exercise control over more and more areas of our lives. This is not a new phenomenon; it really began with Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson at the beginning of the 20th century. It has continued steadily for more than 100 years as self-proclaimed Progressives from both parties have sought to reinterpret the Constitution and expand the role and power of the federal government.

This blog is NOT an anti-Obama forum; Barack Obama is my President - I did not vote for him, but he is the President of the United States, and as an American, that makes him my President. This forum will not be allowed to degenerate into mud-slinging, nor will I allow it devolve into pointless speculation (e.g. whether or not Barack Obama was really born in Hawaii). The purpose of this forum is to unite lovers of liberty from all points in the political spectrum. Let us come together in a common peaceful cause.

Rahm Immanuel once said, "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." As much as I hate to admit it, he may have been right. However, I believe he mis-identified the real crisis. The economic depression that began in 2008 was only a symptom of a much larger problem. Right now, the real crisis is a Constitutional crisis. Our republic, our capitalist economy, our national sovereignty, our individual liberties are all in danger of extinction. This may well be our last chance to save the greatest nation that has ever existed on the Earth. Let us together "do things you think you could not do before" and restore honor and integrity to our political representatives. Please join me in this cause.

0 comments: